Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Swimming in the falls

ARGENTINA | Friday, 15 February 2008 | Views [890]

We decided that the Iguazu Falls is too gorgeous not to see again.  Besides on the second straight day you get a 50% discount on the ticket.  You just need to get a voucher at the end of the first day.

So this time we immediately took the treking trail which was 3.5km one way.  At first the trek is easy with a clear path although not paved.  This is until location 1 where you get to view a little waterfall from the top.  You get back onto the trail which is then no longer so easy so makes it more interesting.

The second location is below the little waterfall which pools at the end.  Here you can walk-sit in the water or the rocks.  We sat right underneather the waterfall itself.

This was a small fall in comparison to the major falls, but already this pounds heavily against your body.  It is a painful yet pleasurable experience.  The water is again icy, but as the water hammers your body and you lose hearing around you, again you are in your own world.  It is an uplifting experience which puts you on a natural high.

After this we took the last part of the trail.  This is difficult.  You have to constantly watch your step as it is really steep and often you need to crawl down or use the trees to almost climb down.  It was even MORE exciting.

Here you get to the main part of the river where you can see the typical boat rides. However we were able to swim over to a tiny little beach bay in the river.  The current was mild in this area so swimming was great and safe. 

Ofcourse the trek is difficult so we were VERY tired and very dirty by the end of it.  However how could we resist to visit the Devil´s Gorge one last time.  So we took the train there. 

This was just as magical as the first time.  This time we were treated to see hundreds of swallows (birds) flying overhead.  It was late in the day so they circle the falls waiting for thier chance to fly home.  Home is behind the falls.  They all lived somewhere behind the water.  So they circle until they see an easy way to spiral down to their nests.  What is interesting is that sometimes they do get it wrong and need to go back up find their bearing and drop again.  Briel and I watched this for 40mintues it was so magnificant.

Again after this we walked back to the entrance about 3km in total.  Beating the crowds on the train.

Another wonderful day of treking around 10km today.  So we were feeling great.

Food tip - the supermarkets here have some cooked meals and salads.  We found this and it was delicious.  My dinner was an expensive 50 cents EUR.  While Briel splurged out and spent 2EUR.  haha

50cents meal - was mash potatoes, lasange, baked vegies and creamy pasta

1.50 eur meal - chicken roast, rice, lasange, baked vegies, pasta - alot

Then we went for icecream - found the local icecreamery place which cost 1 peso per scoop (25c EUR).  YUMMY and cheap!

Great food, great falls, great price.  What more can we ask for?

Anyway ciao for now!

Tags: Sightseeing

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.