Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Mexican border dramas!

MEXICO | Saturday, 15 December 2007 | Views [915]

Rochelle mentioned that there is birthday lunch on Sunday which would be nice to see my other cousins and my Auntie Cecil.  It took us about 3-4 hours door to door so we figured we would go back to San Diego on Saturday morning just to make sure we are not late for the Sunday lunch.

We tried again to catch the local taxi, we did, but we caught the wrong one - so we ended up on the other side of Tijuana rather than near the border!  THe driver didn't speak any english, I spoke basic spanish only, although I understood what he was saying, I was hoping the faking misunderstanding he would drive us to the border anyway.  haha no luck.

So we took a connecting bus for 65cents to the border.  We get off to see a line so long it would take hours of waiting to cross the border on foot.  People start to offer us to take us by taxi across for $10 each, but we didn't want to pay that.

The line went from the building, outside, around multiple building corners, across the bridge.  THere was NO separate line for USA citizens.

Talking to one of the locals there was no way but to wait on the line.  Hmm we really were not going to do that. So we cross over another bridge, which took us to about 1/3 of the line, we negotiated a taxu for $10 for both which fell thru last minute.  So we decided to cut in the line.

We cut about 1000 people.  People behind us started complaining, I gave them some storey about the bus people ripping us off when we had already waited and we were not moving.  THey didn't say much after that and so we got lucky and crossed the border in 30 min instead of several hours.  Phew.  It was hot, crazy and messy if we were to wait.

We then caught the Trolley back to Rochelle who picked us up!

Amazing though it really is so easy to cross the border - no real regulations.  Would recommend to take a taxi or bus across to make it faster.  We just got lucky.

Pretty cool adventure though!

Tags: I should have known better!

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.