Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

OMG NYC!

USA | Monday, 19 November 2007 | Views [698] | Comments [1]

Times Square

Times Square

Well since Briel and I are waiting for his residency in Australia to be approved, we thought to continue travelling.  We of course contemplated going back to Amsterdam to wait it out, but instead we are in NYC instead!  What a shock!

Briel had not been back for 14 years.  In the past he always had said he felt no conneciton to the USA, he didn't miss it at all when he left for Israel, that there is no part of him that considers  USA home.

However he seems to realize that it is not entirely the case at all.  As we flew into JFK airport, his excitment could not be hidden.  He was all smiles, tense, anxious, excited.  So many memories were flooding back to him.  He started telling me more and more stories of his life here.  Which is when he started realizing that a part of him is VERY connection to the city he partially grew up in.

We came to the conclusion that when he moved to Israel, his mind helped him to deal with the loss by really FORGETTING everything he left.  However now he remebers, all the friends, the fun, school, his home here.  Walking around NYC, he really felt at home.  It was so easy for him to fit back into the life here.  I have to admit, I love it here also.

We visited his old home, favourite icecream parlour "EDDIES" (in Queens), walked thru the park he used to play basewall with Dad with.  He walked the routes he walked with ease, AJs pizza, the turn at the church... all looked the same, but smaller... well he was a kid when he left.

We are staying with Melissa in Upper East side (438E, 75th Street between 1st Ave and York Avenue).  Great little appartment.  She will move though this weekend while we go visit relatives in Washington.  She is completely sweet, manic and so easy to adore!  I love her already.

So thje alst few days we also walked to China town and back home (about 15-20 kms ouch!).  That was fun.  Food here is great and delicous.  HOwever usually in a very unhealthy way!  We have found delicous healthy options and we are trying for those too.

However we found the best popcorn we have ever had "Garrett"  on 34th street/5th Ave... Jamba Juice... PinkBerry (green tea yogurt with toppings).. Loads of sushi... Mac and Cheese... Nathans hotdogs hmmm... Mrs fields cookies...

Asides from the food, went to a great little Jazz club in the Village -- awesome area.  Soho is hip, 5th Ave has the best window christmas displays.  China town wonderful food and crazy bargins!

 What we love about this place is, if you can imagine it, it probably exists already.  Products here are vast, varied... in all colours and sizes for everyone!  So easy to find exactly what you are looking for.  The toy stores are massive a kids dream... even Briel's!  The service, well it really cannot be beaten.  Everyone is polite and kind.

Although like in any other big city, people rush, are quick and smile very little - unless you smile at them! hehe then they smile or think your nuts! haha

We have made it one of our options to come and live.  The only problem being the weather and no beach.  His friends are trying to convince us of course ;-)

Anyway ciao for now!  Off to DC soon for Thanksgiving.

Tags: Hallmark Moments

Comments

1

Hello,
I am a very old friend of Briel's mother, Yaffa. I have not seen her in many years and ran across your photos here on this site. I remember Limore as a child but have never seen Briel..His smile is his mother's. Yaffa had always reminded me of that bust of Nefertiti, a rare beauty with smiling eyes. It warmed my heart to see a photo of her as she still bears the beauty of her younger years.
Congratulations to you both on your marriage and please give Yaffa my regards. Oh...I am from Queens, New York.

Sincerely,
Dianna

  Dianna Aug 22, 2009 10:21 PM

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.