Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Ercolano

ITALY | Thursday, 1 November 2007 | Views [857]

Ercolano is another city that was buried by the eruption of Mt Vesuvus in 79 AD.  This city was much closer to the volcano however so it was buried under lava and not just ashes.

The city was a main city which corresponded with Pompeii in trade of goods and services.  We have no idea how big the city was, as much of it might still be buried.  However they cannot find out as the modern day Ercolano now sits on the same area.  Only a small part of the city has been discovered and uncovered.

Here the city is even nicer than Pompeii in that it was perhaps better preserved.  THere is much more paintings on the walls, tiled floors, temples, houses, statues, wood, so many things preserved so well.  We spent 3 hours enjoying the wonders of this small buried cities.

This city once was a beachfront city, however after the eruption, there was added 400m longer of earth, interesting huh.  You even see ruins of people trying to leave by boat but they too perished due to the gases fumes and acid rains.

Briel and I really stopped to wonder about these people, they were going about their daily lives, to suddenly be demolished and near forgotten by nature.  Although the structures did in part survive, it really shows that everything we build, can so easily be destroyed by a force so much greater than our structures.  NATURE.

Later we ate each an entire pizza each.  YUMMY but disgustingly full! haha

We asked to stay longer in Napoli, we do love the city and plus we want to climb Vesuvus!  SO glad we don't have to check out.

THe hostel is really nice and the people working here are great!  LOVE IT!  Plus they give us breaky in bed! haha it is a crappy crossiont and juice, but still.... hehe

BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOLLY!  I of course did not forget you!

XOXOXO

CIao for now!

Tags: Sightseeing

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.