Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Pompeii

ITALY | Wednesday, 31 October 2007 | Views [840]

Went to see Pompeii today. It a lot bigger than I thought - but then it was an entire city destroyed by the ashes of Mt Vesuvus.  It was stunning.  We were there for about 5-6 hours and we nearly completed it all, but not really....

TO get there, you catch the metro\train to Pompeii station, then it is a short walk up to the main gates.  Tickets are 11 Euros each.  However we took a artecard for 25 Eu each which entitles you to: 

2 free entrances (so take the most expensive), 50% off others, then the trains and bus rides everywhere for 3 days.

We got lost in imagining the old city, so wonderfully built.  You could tell that when they built the city it was not just for comfort but for beauty.  I would imagine the togas and lace up slippers... you could see bakeries, with the prices still on menus, small take away shops for lunch meals... homes, temples, theatres, saunas... it was really a prospering rich life there.

Briel had previously been to Napoli, but was not advised to come here, he was so happy we got to do this together.  Definately worth the see!

Note on Napoli - you either will love it or hate it.  hehe I love it there, but it is crazy, a bit dirty, noisy, frantic.  Every turn is a honking scooter, car, bus... Then the coffee is terrible here.   Probably is like Australian coffee - heehe  dunno as I don't drink it.

However the pizzas really are the best!  Other than Izhars of course (but even you Izhar might wanna try the different style! hmm). 

Tags: Sightseeing

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.