Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Samos

GREECE | Thursday, 8 January 2015 | Views [451]

Temple of Hera, Heraion, Samos

Temple of Hera, Heraion, Samos

“IT NEVER GETS THIS COLD ON SAMOS,” everyone kept telling us.  But there it was, a few degrees below freezing with blustery winds from the north.  Despite the weather we zipped up our parkas, pulled down our hats and set off on the four-mile walk from Pathagoreio to Heraion where mythology has Hera wedding Zeus.

ice    one

  Frozen puddles                                 The last one left standing

The original 8th Century BC temple was replaced about every 200 years due to earthquakes and swampy ground.  Of the 154 columns from the 5th Century BC, only one remains towering 50 feet into the sky, half its original height.  We had the entire World Heritage site to ourselves except for two black cats who purred us along.  We have had canine escorts before but this was the first time for cats.

Visiting Samos may not have been worth the time and trouble, what with the weather and the winter ferry schedule, but if we hadn’t come we would always have wondered.  Come to think of it, we were the only tourists who got off the ferry in Pathagoreio, named for the A2 + B2 = C2 right triangle guy.  Only two hotels were open, ours and the one next door where we did laundry and we were the only guests.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.