Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Murano and Burano

ITALY | Sunday, 7 December 2014 | Views [565]

Impressionist reflection, Burano

Impressionist reflection, Burano

WHAT WE REMEMBER MOST FONDLY FROM OUR first time in Venice is the day we spent on the islands of Murano and Burano.  We reprised the visit today and enjoyed it just as much.

g

    Murano glass from the source

You can buy Murano glass all over Italy, especially in the Venetian shops, but the best pieces are found at the source.  Fearing devastating fires the powers that be’d exiled the glass-blowers and their furnaces across the lagoon where they still ply their trade.  We skipped the glass-blowing exhibitions this time and just wandered around, peeking in stores and marveling at the myriad designs.

lace

   From mending nets to making lace

The island of Burano was a sleepy fishing village and would be still if it weren’t for the tourists.  Today it is better known for Burano lace.  The story has it that the women, tired of watching their hubbies mend nets, tried their hand at the craft and a cottage industry of lace makers evolved.  There are still a few grandmas and great-grandmas dressed in black squinting over their work but most of what you see today must come from elsewhere — there just aren’t enough old ladies left.

lad

     The old ways (and old ladies) are dying out

The real draw, at least for me, isn’t lace but the brightly painted houses reflecting in the canals.  They are even more colorful today that when we last visited, a Crayola box full of hues.  This is what Venice itself must have looked like in her heyday.

co

    Primary colors

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.