Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Ghent and Antwerp

BELGIUM | Monday, 24 November 2014 | Views [372]

From the St. Michael Bridge, Ghent

From the St. Michael Bridge, Ghent

THE NATIONAL STRIKE PLANNED FOR MONDAY had little noticeable effect on Ghent, although I imagine much of the student population cut classes in its observance.  Ghent is a university town and students will be students.  It was quiet as we crossed the St. Michaels Bridge towards the towering belfry.  Belfries are a major part of the architectural landscape, statements of the transition from feudalism to a merchant society.  And the bells sound so pretty. 

bl

   Belfry of Ghent

But our destination was the Cathedral of St. Bavo — or more accurately van Eyck’s “Adoration of the Mystic Lamb,” a multi-paneled altarpiece showing one of the more obscure Biblical stories.  At least I never heard of it before.  But Jan van Eyck and his brother Herbert (who actually started the “Adoration” are among the best know Belgian painters and Rick Steves listed it as a “must see.”  So we saw.

lam

   I don't see what all the fuss is about

Antwerp seemed deserted.  Antwerp is major port and probably very unionized so the strike was well supported.  Only the MacDonalds and a few pizza restaurants were open for lunch and the busiest workers we saw were part of a statue.  

st

     No work today in Antwerp

The Cathedral of Our Lady was covered with scaffolding, something we have gotten used to in Europe, but we were able to find the treasures inside — four religious scenes painted by local lad Peter Paul Reubens.

rue      re

 Raising of the Cross                             The Assumption of Mary

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.