Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Nara and Horyu-ji

JAPAN | Thursday, 9 October 2014 | Views [516]

Guardians of the Gate, Horyuji Temple

Guardians of the Gate, Horyuji Temple

BEFORE KYOTO (AND LONG BEFORE TOKYO) — way back in 710 — Nara was Japan’s capital.  And while its reign lasted only 75 years, Kodai-ji Temple is a standing reminder of Nara’s glory days.

ho

   Stone lanterns and Horyu-ji

Nara is only 35 kilometers from Kyoto, a half-hour train ride.  But while we were in the area we decided to continue on to Horyu-ji for a look at the oldest Buddhist temple in Japan.  Actually we just wandered around the grounds enjoying the views and the tranquility before back-tracking to Nara.  Truth be told, after our time in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Tibet we are pretty much “Buddha-ed out.”

elc

    Once in a Red moon, full lunar eclipse from our hotel window

There was a full lunar eclipse last night and it is a holiday weekend so Nara was packed with tourists, both Western and Japanese, all there to see Daibutsu, the Great Buddha.  It’s a bit of a walk from the station to Kodai-ji Temple, through the gauntlet of souvenir shops and a park filled with aggressively hungry deer hoping for a hand-out.  The Japanese are much more polite and only bow, never pushing their wares.

tod

    Kodai-ji, home of the Great Buddha

Once we reached Kodai-ji we decided the $10 tariff was too steep to see another image of the Buddha, even a king-sized one.  I know we aren’t being gracious tourists but one does get weary after a while.

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.