Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Kyoto: Just Right

JAPAN | Tuesday, 7 October 2014 | Views [557]

Reflections, Golden Pavilion, Kinkaku-Ji, Kyoto

Reflections, Golden Pavilion, Kinkaku-Ji, Kyoto

ARRIVING IN KYOTO, STEEPED AS IT IS IN HISTORY and tradition, from Mongolia, where life goes on much as it has for centuries, was a huge transition.  Visiting Mongolia is a look back at the land of Chingis Khan while being in Japan is peeking into the future.  I can’t imagine what it would have been like to land in Tokyo!   It was a long day; Ulaanbaatar to Seoul then to Osaka followed by a long bus ride to Kyoto. 

Japan has a reputation for being expensive and hotels can take a big bite out of the tourist yen.  Hotel Grand Bach is at the high end of our budget, and then some.  The location is great and if only the rooms were larger — there is hardly space for our bags — it would qualify as a lovely boutique hotel.  The bathrooms are an engineering marvel, from the heated toilet seats to the space-age shower.  They even supply kung-fu style PJs!

mem

   Memoirs of a Geisha

Just down Shijo Road we can catch city buses to almost all the tourist destinations for less than $5 a day.  Most signs are in Japanese but there is enough English so we haven’t had any problems figuring out the routes.  For nearly 1000 years Kyoto was the capitol of Japan  before moving it to Tokyo.  Everything about Japan is so foreign (really) and colorful that I can’t help taking photos.  Favorite subjects are temples like Kiyomizo-dera, the fall colors and women in traditional kimonos — and even a few authentic geishas.   

tr

    Traditional kimono on Sannen-zaka in Higashiyama

One of the highlights of Kyoto — neigh, Japan — is Kinkaku-Ji, the Golden Pavilion.  Somehow, despite the crowds fighting for that perfect vantage point, Kinkaku-Ji evoked a feeling of tranquility.  There is something very Zen-like about traditional Japanese architecture and landscaping.  Not too much, nor too little.  The proportions are perfect and there is somehow just the right mix of trees and rocks and water.  

sl

    S-L-U-R-P!

It will take us a while to get the gist of Japanese food.  Sushi we know, of course, but  at these prices we will eat it sparingly.  Picture menus are a big help.  In true Japanese fashion we each slurped bowls of udon noodles for lunch just like we did with chicken noodle soup as kids.

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.