Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Giant's Causeway

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 June 2014 | Views [746]

Giant's Causeway World Heritage Site

Giant's Causeway World Heritage Site

THE GIANT'S CAUSEWAY IS THE MOST POPULAR attraction along the Causeway Coastal Route.  Aside from the spectacular scenery, it is the only attraction - unless you are a golfer.  The natural beauty and geologic uniqueness of the Giant’s Causeway make it a no-brainer for inclusion as a World Heritage Site.  So I have to wonder why they tarted it up by highlighting the fairy-tale of Finn McCool like something from Disney.  With a staggering admission charge to match.  I guess they have to recoup the cost of the glitzy visitor center.

or

     Finn's Organ

As the story goes, the benevolent giant Finn (Fionn mac Cumhail) built the Giant’s Causeway as stepping-stones from Ireland to Scotland so he wouldn’t get his feet wet.  When he threw a hunk of Ireland at a rival giant and missed, it landed in the Irish Sea forming the Isle of Man. 

a

    When you're driven to drink

When you have had enough of Finn and the hoards of folks clambering over the polygonal columns of basalt, the Bushmill’s distillery is a short drive away.  Bushmill’s is supposedly the world’s oldest commercial distillery, making Irish  - as opposed to Scotch - whisky since 1608.  In Ireland they drop the "e" in whisky and distill it three times. 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.