Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Free Stuff: The British Museum and British Library

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [474]

British Museum

British Museum

THE BRITISH MUSEUM HAS ONE OF THE FINEST collections in the world, between six and eight million artifacts courtesy of the Empire’s rapacious explorers and collectors of the 19th Century.  We returned today In search of the remaining 35 “History of the World in 100 Objects” that we missed on our last visit.  Alas, although the “100 Objects” book is still on sale in the museum shop, they no longer supply the location list for the objects.  If only 5% of the pieces are on display, about average for a major museum, that leaves more than 30,000 pieces in 90 galleries to sort through.  About half of the elusive twenty-five were no longer on display and we felt pretty satisfied with the six we did discover.

xx

    Ceramic Elephant, one of the 100 Objects

Externally the British Library was a disappointment, standing as is does next to the fantastic St. Pancras Station.  Such modern architecture for such ancient material seemed inappropriate. Inside, however, the feeling was totally different.  With so many rare and unique manuscripts, letters, maps, stamps and what-not, a modern, climate controlled environment is essential.  And what a collection of what-not it is.  Some of the oldest documents in the English language; hand written scores by Handel, Bach, Chopin and Lennon/McCartney; letters from Darwin, Churchill, Cook and Scott; and manuscripts from that Shakespeare chap.

lib

   British Library 

Both the Museum and the Library are free but photos aren't permitted in the Library so we didn't feel obligated to make the £5 donation.

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.