Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

London

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [400]

Welcome to London

Welcome to London

WE SPENT A FEW DAYS IN GERMANY AT RAMSTEIN Air Base filling prescriptions and satisfying our cravings at the food court with a sample of every unhealthy, wonderful tasting option, something I actually dreamed of while in India.  Then it was off to London for a bit of catching up with Connie’s friend, Sandy.

London is the most foreign city I have visited.  On our block alone there are restaurants featuring Indian, French, Italian, Brazilian, Mexican, Spanish, Moroccan, Iranian and, of course, Greek cuisine.  We have heard all of these languages plus German, Russian and who knows what.  Each neighbourhood has its own vibe; ours in Marylebone is muy rico.  We have stayed here before so we know the place a bit.  It is nice to feel like you belong and we are happy to be here, at least for the moment.

nei

    Our neighborhood bookstore

London is expensive.  Meals cost upwards of $15, forget about wine.  We stopped at the Apple store yesterday.  Our Macbook’s memory is about full - much like mine - and we decided to replace it while we have the chance. (I will have to keep my memory for a little longer!)   It cost half again as much as in the US but the Apple folks were wonderful helping us to transfer important stuff to the new system without buying new software, so I guess it all worked out OK.  Even my new Kindle cost more than in the US.

ap

   The Apple Store

Our other order of business is to book our trip to China, no mean feat considering the cost and visa application process.  Things are progressing, but slowly.  We really don’t want to be on a group tour but the options are few - and expensive.  Complicating matters, we can’t turn over our passports until we return from Iceland and then we will be in Glasgow.  Somehow it will all work out.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.