Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Kathmandu

NEPAL | Friday, 28 March 2014 | Views [562]

The big one, Mt. Everest

The big one, Mt. Everest

KATHMANDU SEEMS CHAOTICALLY FAMILIAR – dusty, crowded, noisy and polluted.  But there are no tuk-tuks.  And few Indians.  “Nepal,” read a sign at the airport, “has the world’s tallest mountain and the world’s shortest people.”  Stature aside, the people are friendly and helpful and speak easily understood English.  And Kathmandu is crawling with Europeans and a generous sprinkling of North Americans.  Many young and adventurous ones sat on piles of supplies, ready for multi-day (or longer) treks into the Himalayas.

tre

    Young guns ready for trekking

There are 69 reasons why I won’t be joining them.  #1 I don’t have the pack, boots, tent, etc.  #2 I don’t play well with others, preferring to hike alone.  #3-69 are the years I have been around.  I am just too damn old!  Connie, bless her, has only 65 reasons.

Instead, taking advantage of the good weather, we booked a morning flight-seeing mountain trip instead.  The skies were clear, the flight was smooth and everyone had a window seat, although ours had propeller views.  This is where I am supposed to say that the Himalayas are majestic, fantastic, spectacular, magnificent (choose all which apply.)  In truth, although the snow-capped peaks are nearly twice as high and Everest, whose peak was shrouded with clouds, is more than twice as high –the views of the Rockies are just as good and a lot more accessible.  The Tetons may be better.  Sorry, but the more we travel and the more we experience, the more likely we are to make comparisons and share our opinions.

himalyas

     Top of the World

5 ARPIL: A RETRACTION  The view from our portside window on the DrukAir flight from Kathmandu to Paro was spectacular.  Hundreds of miles of nothing but Himalaya peaks, including Mt. Everest.  The Rockies and the Alps can’t begin to compare to the splendor.  My only explanation for my first remarks is that India wore me down and soured my disposition.  Mea culpa. 

-------------------------------------------------

We met Ashok upon arrival from Kolkata, though the meeting was somewhat between a befriending and an abduction.  We were in need of travel assistance and that is his game.  He took us to our hotel then arranged for this morning’s mountain flight.  Afterwards we had him book a lodge in Chitwan National Park and transportation from Kathmandu to Chitwan to Podhara and back.  We are set until mid-April; all we have to do is show up.

dyrb

     Durbar Square

We spent the afternoon at the wonderful temples at Durbar Square in the suburb of Patan.  The taxi ride from Ashok’s office in Thamel bordered on insanity and Durbar Square offered little respite.  A pretty good jazz band played while tour groups thronged, locals collected water from the ancient step well, and kids climbed on the statues.  But the wood carvings on the temples rivaled the stonework at Khajuraho, though less risqué.  Rather than fight it, we joined in the festive atmosphere with a diet Coke and an ice cream bar.  When in Nepal….

shade

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.