Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Road to Udaipur

INDIA | Thursday, 6 February 2014 | Views [483]

Udaipur from Lake Pichola

Udaipur from Lake Pichola

Today wasn’t a good one for tuk-tuks, those rickety, smelly three-wheeled taxis of India.  It took two to get to our early morning bus.  The first driver did the usual “Yes, yes,” when I showed him the address then turned towards the airport.  We jumped out and hailed another who didn’t know the address either but at least had the sense to stop and ask directions. 

We passed most of the 5 ½ hour trip looking at the scenery (This was our first daytime bus trip.) and listening to BBC podcasts, determined to shut out the terrible Bollywood DVD presentation.

The only other non-Indian on the bus, Magi, is a professional photographer from Finland who returns to Ahmedabad every year to continue her on-going documentary.  It will be interesting to visit her website and see the region through her eyes.

osc

   In good paws, Oscar

Our tuk-tuk troubles continued in Udaipur.  Driver #1 stalled when he stopped for directions and couldn’t get his machine started again.  Driver #2 managed to get us the rest of the way to Heritage Hibiscus Guest House just off Lake Pichola.   The rooms remind us of some of the places we stayed in Morocco, the lake views are a bit like Amalfi, and the vibe is British Colonial.  Oscar, the lethargic great dane, guards the guest house like a temple lion, adding to the surrealness.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.