Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

'Tis The Season

GERMANY | Saturday, 30 November 2013 | Views [740]

Christmas Market, Nuremburg

Christmas Market, Nuremburg

We could scarcely hear anyone speaking German among the crowd at Nuremburg’s Christmas fair.  Of course this was the day after Thanksgiving, just another day at work for the locals but a holiday for US servicemen and their families taking advantage of duty in Bavaria.

c

   Connie spins the ring for good luck

The weather was cold and blustery, the gluhwein was flowing freely and roasting bratwurst perfumed the air.  This is what we returned to Europe for – a taste of Christmas.  We, too, are taking advantage of the military presence in Germany and are staying with Ashleigh while Brett is “downrange” as they say in today’s army.  Ash is a good if somewhat reluctant guide; she’s done the fairs ad nauseam so she knows the German rail system and the best food and gluhwein stalls.  Many of the foods and crafts are hand-made locally, especially the famous "prune people."

pr

     Available only at the Fair

The Christmas fair in Bamburg wasn't as large as Nuremburg's but Bamburg is much more gemutlichkeit.  We gave Ashleigh the day off and drove over alone.  Bamburg is one of the most charming little German cities we have seen.  The alte Stadt covers dozens of blocks of one cute house after another, all with open shutters inviting a peek inside.  And today we were among the locals.  It seemed like we were the only people who weren’t speaking German.  No holiday gluhwein today but we did have a glass of beer and a nice schnitzel lunch.

bam

   Bamburg from the bridge

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.