Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Antananarivo

MADAGASCAR | Tuesday, 8 October 2013 | Views [537]

Antananarivo street scene

Antananarivo street scene

There is no charge for a visa to enter Madagascar yet the process is incredibly inefficient.  No fewer than five people handled, examined or stamped our passports during the process.  Job creation by the government is important in a country where of the 85% of the people are unemployed.  But what are they doing about the 65% who are illiterate?

ta

     Classic taxi

Have you noticed the similarity between the root of Madagascar and Malagasy, the people who live here?  Neither did I until today.  Duh!  But I do believe that Antananarivo is Malagasy for “gridlock.”  It took David more than an hour in snarled mid-afternoon traffic to go the ten kilometers between Cactus Tours and Chalet des Roses near the city center.  The road circled untidy rice paddies and past an endless array of market stalls before snaking uphill to our digs for the night.  We honestly don’t have any idea where we are and have little desire to explore and find out.  We will be picked up in the morning for our flight to Majunga, so we really don’t need to know.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Madagascar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.