Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Blyde River Canyon

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 6 October 2013 | Views [777]

Blyde River Canyon

Blyde River Canyon

Loney Planet makes it sound like the most impressive landscape in South Africa.  Blyde River Canyon is certainly worth a visit but you should tone down your expectations.  Still, the scenery is a pleasant change from Kruger, sometimes reminding us of places in Colorado.  

lis

   Lisbon Falls

God's Window doesn't command a view of heaven, only a panorama of sustainable forestry, a checkerboard of eucalyptus and pine forests separated by clear cutting.  Berlin Falls and Lisbon Falls are scenic trickles.  And the bride must have been jilted at the altar at Bridalveil Falls.  The former mining town of Pilgrim's Rest with its iron houses reminded us of similar towns in Outback Australia.

pil

     Pilgrim's Rest

We couldn't take advantage of the hiking opportunities in the area, even if we could have located them.  Connie tripped in one of our rondavels in Kruger and pulled a groin muscle.  Every time it seems to be getting better, the slightest slip or bump sets her recovery back a day.  So we are taking it easy in Graskop waiting for Madagascar and watching new to us re-runs of Castle and NCIS.  Speaking of Madagascar, we are having no luck paying for our scheduled trip.  For some reason the bank in Madagascar refuses to accept our credit cards, even when we had our bank on the phone.  They'll just have to wait for us to show up and pay in person.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.