Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Bom Viage, Mozambique

MOZAMBIQUE | Monday, 23 September 2013 | Views [524]

Relaxing at Casa Barry with our new friend

Relaxing at Casa Barry with our new friend

The wind finally died and the ocean calmed down.  But it rained on our last day in Tofo!  No diving.  No kayaking.  Just eating wonderful food and lazing around the casita with the cat.  It sat on our roof meowing and when we opened the door he (or she?) walked in as if it owned the place.  Since then it has spent hours sleeping on our bed.  And I think I have flea bites!

old

    Old school, old planes

We decided to by-pass Maputo on the flight home and flew directly (allmost) to Johannesburg.  Inhambane is an "international" airport but they still had to hand-print our boarding cards.  It takes longer in the old prop planes but they have surprising leg room.  No movies, of course, but they did feed us.  Twice.  The food for the past few days has been wonderful.  Peri-peri Mozambique prawns, fettucine vongole with local clams and, at the hotel in Jo'burg, the most delicious pork chops, mashed potatoes and pumpking.  The dining was family style and we sat with a couple who own a lodge in Tanzania.  She worked in Olduvai Gorge in the early 60s with Mary Leaky!  Mary, she confided over a glass of wine, was a bit of a drunk; sometimes they had to lock her in the back of the truck so she wouldn't wander off and get eaten by lions.  Tralvers's tales sure are wonderful.

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mozambique

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.