Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

A Nice Place To Live?

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 30 July 2013 | Views [693]

Dassies (rock hyrax), Storms River NP

Dassies (rock hyrax), Storms River NP

Plettenburg Bay is one of those places we could actually live in.  It's just the right size, perched on the Indian Ocean towards the end of the famous Garden Route.  It's modern and inexpensive and the Cornerway Guest House was superb.  Our hosts, Dee and Robin, were the perfect combination of South African and British charm.  The downside of living in South Africa, for us at least, is the feeling that it is still under the shadow of apartheid, that an explosion of black nationalism is just moments away.  And from what we've heard the police are corrupt and ineffective and would be of no help.  I could live here if I didn't feel so guilty about being white.  But, God, the place is beautiful!

st

   Crashing surf, Storms Bay

Take for instance Storms Bay National Park, a jungley strecth of hilly cliffs and battering seas just up the N2 from Plettenburg Bay.  Watching the waves crash into the rocks is like a combination of Fourth of July fireworks, the choreography of the Bellagio fountains in Vegas and regularity of Old Faithful.  Absolutely mesmerizing.  We could have sat their for hours if it wasn't for the birds.  And the dassies, those cute little rodent-looking buggers whose closest relative, believe it or not, are elephants.  But we had to move on - we have an appointment to keep.

pos

   Smiling gluttons

We met Brian and Jen at Chris and Rose's place in Uganda six years ago.  Readers of the journal will remember Chris and Rose as our hosts for two glorious weeks in the UK back in 2011.  Well they were visiting cousin Brian and Jen in Port Elizabeth and we caged and invite too.  After reminiscing and catching up, Brian took us to a hole-in-the-wall Portuguese restaurant on the wrong side of the tracks for the most incredible ribs.  We attacked the food like a pride of lions on a buffalo and finsihed with bloated bellies and sauce dripping from our smiling lips.

ele

   A cool drink on a hot day

On the road again, we stopped at the Addo Elephant National Park.  We've seen much of the African game of course, all the "big five," but it was nice to drive around and see some again.  And there is always the chance for a new bird or two.  Our unplanned detour, combined with a lot of road construction, delayed our arrival at East London, but we made it before dark.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.