Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Around Lisbon

PORTUGAL | Tuesday, 18 June 2013 | Views [424]

Moorish Castle walls, Sintra

Moorish Castle walls, Sintra

Affordable lodging with free parking is hard to find in Lisbon, especially during the Lisbon Festival.  Finding Casa Shanti is never easy.  We decided to stay at this 300 year-old farm in Mafra and commute to Sintra, Belem and Lisbon.  It’s charming and comfortable and so hidden in the windblown hills on a narrow track that even with our GPS and directions (in Portuguese) from villagers we were stymied.  When we finally arrived I mentioned to the owner that there were no signs.  “Everyone says that!” Carolina replied.  It was well worth the effort; comfortable bed, full kitchen and living room, good wifi and a full array of English satellite channels.

w

   Casa Shanti, worth searching for

The World Heritage town of Sintra was a bit of a letdown, mostly due to the weather.  We should have known, as it was rainy and windy when we visited Cabo da Roca, the western-most place on the continent.  Clouds all but obscured the Moorish Castle and we could hardly see the Palace.  But we did have a wonderful Chinese lunch in town.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.