Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Madrid on Foot

SPAIN | Wednesday, 8 May 2013 | Views [1043]

Royal Palace, Madrid

Royal Palace, Madrid

Madrid is a young city by European standards and is a pleasure to visit on foot.  From the tree shaded Prado and Gran Via to the pedestrian only Calle de Arenal and all the narrow lanes, everything is marked with illustrated tile signs and pictures describing the street for the illiterate and uni-lingual.  Hotel Mexico is smack in the middle of it all, just ten minutes from Atocha railway station, the Prado Museum, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, the Centro de Arte Riena Sofia and a myriad of eateries. 

sign

Our first outing took us farther afield, all the way to the Royal Palace.  Twenty-four of the opulent rooms are open to the public, the remaining 2700 or so are for King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and their friends.  The treasures on display include a pair of cellos, a viola and two violins made by Stradivarius, each valued at more than ten million euros.

ho

      Can you spot the ho?

The Gran Via is Madrid's answer to Fifth Avenue, a tour-de-force of upscale shops, art nouveau buildings, theaters and even its share of prostitutes.  Ho-ing is legal in Spain, just so long as there are no pimps involved.  For something a little bit more wholesome, we took a stroll through Retiro Park where the chestnut trees were in bloom and a blizzard of petals filled the spring air. 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.