Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Riding the Rails

SPAIN | Monday, 6 May 2013 | Views [358]

Trains are fast, clean . . . expensive

Trains are fast, clean . . . expensive

The port of Barcelona was hopping this morning.  While we were eating breakfast four other cruise ships were queued up to enter the harbor.  Most of the people getting off boarded buses to whisk them off to the airport . . . and home.  Sorry, but that ain’t travel!

After immigration – and the first stamps in our new passports – we jumped on the metro (We spent a week here two years ago and have the public transportation system wired.) to the train station.  The first affordable train to Madrid wouldn’t leave until 3 PM so we used the time to catch up on emails and internet business with the free wi-fi at McDonalds.  Thank you, Ronald.

European trains are expensive, often costing more than flying.  But they are clean, comfortable and fast, often cruising at more than 300 kph.  That’s pushing 190 miles per hour for the metrically challenged.  Even better, train stations are often near the city center – only a ten minute walk to our hotel in our case.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.