Existing Member?

Travels of a Zen Dog "He knows not where he's going For the ocean will decide - It's not the destination......It's the glory of the ride" - quote by Edward Monkton

Road trip around the South of the South Island

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 20 May 2008 | Views [1308] | Comments [2]

Met up with Claire (from the first Magic bus) in Christchurch and collected our rental car - which we nicknamed Tui- because it would take us from Christchurch TUI Queenstown. Spent the week travelling down the east coast along The Scenic Highway route for 1300Km through The Catlins and up to Queenstown. We stayed at Oamaru, Dunedin, Papatowai, Invercargill, Manapouri, Wanaka and finally Queenstown. Fantastic scenery off the normal roads - travelled along many gravel roads to places neither of us had visited before. Whilst staying at Manapouri we did a cruise on the Doubtful Sound. Both of us had visited Milford Sound and we both agreed that Doubtful Sound was more impressive and remote, certainly worth the effort to get there. An excellent week of travel ended in Queenstown with a Fergburger and a night out at the Buffalo Bar and The World Bar. Our hostel key allowed us to have 2 for 1 drinks in the bar which may have led to the hangover Claire had the next day! Whatever the night, Queenstown is always busy unlike the rest of NZ which doesn't seem to wake up until friday night. 

Comments

1

Hi Andrew,

Thought I'd drop in and see how you are getting on. Wow!! looks and sounds great- wish I was there. Rather more interesting than grey financially depressed Skipton. I am plannning to visit NZ in 2010 and will certainly be asking u 4 advice. Enjoy.

Cheers

Colin

  colin Marshall May 29, 2008 2:41 AM

2

Hi Andrew,
How you ever expect to settledown again after this trip beats me. It all looks fabulous.
We spoke to Simon on the phone today. He said you were meeting up with him this weekend in Sydney. I think he intends to give you a drive round. Hope you enjoy it.

Eileen and I have just had a month in Scotland it was great but diesel at 136.9 p per litre is a bit much!

Enjoy

Keith

  Keith Hillery May 31, 2008 5:44 AM

About rory2034

This is Rory

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.