Existing Member?

Travels of a Zen Dog "He knows not where he's going For the ocean will decide - It's not the destination......It's the glory of the ride" - quote by Edward Monkton

Kaikoura

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 25 April 2008 | Views [1123]

Left Christchurch on my last Magic Bus trip in heavy rain for Kaikoura. All new people on the bus but I got chatting to a girl called Corrie from the UK. When we arrived at Kaikoura all activities had been cancelled due to the bad weather. Corrie and I decided to go for a walk around the coast to a seal colony. We got soaked as it rained and hailed so we sought refuge in a pub caller The Whaler. This was at 4pm on Saturday - we left at 1am on Sunday morning slightly the worse for wear. The barman even named us "The Crazy Cider Club" as we managed to fill the table with empty cider bottles.

I had to pull out of Sundays planned whale watching boat trip as I felt very unwell (nothing to do with the drink, honest mum). So I booked an extra night at the Dusky Lodge and had an early night to recover. Tuesday and the sun was shinning and I was feeling great again. Booked a helicopter flight to see the whales (still not sure about the boat trip looking at the height of the waves). What a fantastic experience. We saw a sperm whale which was about 18m long, and watched it for about 7 minutes and then saw it dive straight down in search of food. This has got to be one of the highlights of the trip so far.

About rory2034

This is Rory

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.