Existing Member?

Travels of a Zen Dog "He knows not where he's going For the ocean will decide - It's not the destination......It's the glory of the ride" - quote by Edward Monkton

Franz Josef

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 2 April 2008 | Views [1235] | Comments [1]

Left Nelson to head for Franz Josef with an overnight stop in Greymouth. We went on a brewery tour then to a local bar which involved much drinking and much fun but we didn't get back to the hostel until 5am after getting lost (how do you get lost in Greymouth I don't know but we did)

Set of to Franz Josef and with only 40 mins of driving left the bus broke down. We spent a couple of hours on the roadside waiting for a replacement bus to arrive, but the weather was hot and sunny and the company was good. Arrived at Franz Josef and within 30mins I was in a helicopter being taken up onto the glacier for a 2 hour hike. This has got to be one of the highlights of my trip so far. The combination of the glacier, the views, the helicopter flight and the company made it a very special day. The next day I tried indoor ice climbing which was another great experience. Some of my friends have been skydiving, Franz Josef is a perfect place to do this because of the scenery, as long as the weather is good - and we had perfect weather.

The YHA hostel is very comfy with a large open fire and comfy sofas. Add good friends to this mix and a goodtime was had by all. 

Comments

1

I don't know how you could get lost in Greymouth. It's a real spit and sawdust town but it's about the size pea. If you can get lost in Greymouth, how will you cope in Christchurch? Will you need a guide dog???

  James Waterhouse Apr 9, 2008 6:10 PM

About rory2034

This is Rory

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.