Existing Member?

Travels of a Zen Dog "He knows not where he's going For the ocean will decide - It's not the destination......It's the glory of the ride" - quote by Edward Monkton

Nelson - The centre of New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 31 March 2008 | Views [321]

Caught the Interisland ferry from Wellington to Picton. The crossing takes about 3 1/2 hours and was very smooth. Managed to get an hours sleep which I needed as I had been awake for 42 hours. Although the weather was misty the scenery at the entrance into the south island was impressive. Got on the Magic bus in Picton at the ferry terminal. I had heard a lot about the bus whilst talking to other travellers in the north island so I thought I'd give it a go. Not sure yet what to expect.

First overnight stop was in Nelson. Billed as the "Centre of New Zealand", unlike Nelson in the UK which, frankly, is the centre of nothing. I visited the lookout point which has a needle-like poiner indicating the very centre of the islands. I was rewarded with an excellent view of the town and surrounding hills. Also visited the beach which wasn't as impressive due to the rain (same weather as Nelson UK). Staying here 2 nights in a fantastic hostel called "Accents on the Park" which overlooks parkland. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a quieter place as it is just away from the centre - it even has its own bar downstairs.   

About rory2034

This is Rory

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.