Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Fri 28th Nov - Vladivostok

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Friday, 28 November 2008 | Views [596]

Ho ho! Wouldn't let me in in 1983 but cannot keep me out now. Go looking for Dalintourist and find 'Five )'clock Tea', an English teashop run by Barry from Bolton, Lancashire. An oasis of English speakers like Jessica (US) and Maddy (NZ)who are resident here temporarily and fearsomely bright like all young people I meet abroad. Tarte citron, quiche, tea and photos. 

Then a walk on the beach - first tidal water since the Channel (sob). Find a new lucky pebble to replace 'Portland Bill' who liberated himself in Tibet. After all that, Vladivostok turns out to be an out-of-season seaside resort with funfair, ice-cream kiosks and a dolphinarium - all, sadly, shut. Still the prom is good and a soldier takes my photo for me but declines one of him.

Book ticket to Khabarovsk with Evgenia at Dalintourist but no luck finding a cheap hotel there. Have another chat with Barry over a tuna mayo roll. He fell in love here and has been open at teashop for 18 months. Walk to station and pick up ticket from Alla in the blue kiosk. Miss the home of the Yul Brynner family and cannot find phrase book. I am really tired by now and limp up the hill to hotel and boiled egg, yoghurt and tea in the restaurant that isn't a restaurant. Meet ex-senior engineer in Russian Navy who speaks some E as been everywhere. I am impressed. This wouldn't have happened in '83. Would ahev been quite romantic then. Ah well...

Limp up to 5th floor and bed at 8.15 like Tibet.

Tags: beach, teashop, yoghurt

 

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.