Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Fri 21st Nov - Last day in Lhasa

CHINA | Friday, 21 November 2008 | Views [497]

Awake early from dreadful dream about Chinese vampires. And the day gets worse as I discover I have lost my first journal, the one with all my addresses. Not in the lobby, not in the room, not in Snowland restaurant which is the last time I remember as was writing postcards. Not in the internet cafe attached either. Bugger! Fortunately still have postcards with most important people like Barbara and Len and Sam.

Day improves as now the boys have gone, I have Pema all to myself. He takes me to the Post Office and I tell him I am quite happy and will see him in the morning. I have several hours till the PO wakes from lunch so go for a walk round the park near Potala Palace. Enchanting park with a stupa and prayer wheels and all the proper park things like a lake with ducks and silly pedalos. Should have taken one out but much to shy. There is a teahouse and friendly smiley Tibetans and a playground with swings. Funnily, the playground is for adults and lots of people are getting exercise on them, high bars to do pullups; twisty plates for the waist; noraml seesaws; all manner of fun things. Take sneaky photos with plenty of zoom.I am alone again and reflecting on the last week. As a confirmed lone traveller, I am surprised at how enjoyable, how undemanding, how pleasurable was the company of Jon and Devin. I shall miss them.

My parcel to the UK costs 23 pounds which isn't bad and worth it just to watch the sellotape man in action. I lunch at a Chinese cafe where you point to the buckets of food on the floor. I pick well and get fatty bacon in peppers, tofu abd rice. And refills of tea. really good.

I buy thermal underwear from giggly woman in vest shop. There is a mix of types at this end of town. Young Tibetan in western clothes in and out of Western clothes shops. Very chic. Very old devotees twirling their wheels as they walk. Country Tibetans probably as much tourist as I am. Soldiers on every corner who do not smile back. Masses of them. helmets familiar to one who watched war movies in the 50s and 60s. Back at the hotel I realise I have walked a couple of miles in Lhasa with no ill effects.

Updated photos so can delete. Alas, diary not turned up so left email with Yusuf. Pema calling for me at 7, train at 8.30 am, hope visa is OK. I have researched train packages but way too expensive so will do Russia point-to-point.

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.