Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Sat 18th Oct - Yazd to Kerman

IRAN | Saturday, 18 October 2008 | Views [1012]

Making plans to leave. Asked manager Ali for his advice on timing last night. I want to get the 6.10am Yazd to Zahedan and then Zahedan to the border, the scary border. If I leave today I will see nothing of Yazd and miss Zoroastrian Fire temple completely - however, I will have spare time in case something goes amiss. No way am I overstaying my visa. It was so hard to get and I definitely want to come back.

I paid 50 toman for 2 nights and two buffet dinners and got change from 50 euros. Then Hossein took me to catch the bus. he wanted one of the big Khomeinis for the ticket and I became confused. They have a note, knock a zero off the end, then call it something else entirely. I have given up and just proffer fistfuls of mullahs with a pleading look. My pleading look - mullahs don't plead.

1pm bus to Kerman. Pleasant enough trip and the driver found me a cab. I am now at the Akhand Hotel. My first proper hotel this trip. No reservation so lucky to get room and a very nice room it is - with TV. Bought cigarettes next door for 16 which is change from 2 toman. Whatever. I have given up on money.

Huge meal in canteen like restaurant. Ate my soup and thought: Very nice. Then the salad arrived: Can manage that. Stuffed mushroom: It will keep me going till breakfast. Rice:Oh-kay, maybe a spoonful. Stew: Stew?! .

Tonight really must update this blog. Probably be published posthumously. That is humour as, oddly, the thought of being kidnapped or having my throat slit for religious reasons in Balochistan do not frighten me at all. Partly because I have my lucky Chesil Beach pebble and mostly because I used to work 3 midnight shifts a week at little Tesco's and if you can do that you can do anything. Bandits? Drug warlords? Kidnappers? If they can't produce a Clubcard, I will not deal with them. Yet another course arrives. The condemned Fran ate a hearty meal washed down with Irani 'beer'.

Tags: food, no fear, zoroastrians unseen

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iran

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.