Existing Member?

Lighting out for the territory nce more in the Middle East. The more I travel the more I want to travel and the longer that I am out of England the happier I am. At present in Iraq and having a wonderful time. really fallen in love with the country and the people. Very glad I came and

Mon 29 Sept - Istanbul

TURKEY | Tuesday, 30 September 2008 | Views [415]

At last! 10 am, after some of the most boring landscape on the planet, we arrived at Istanbul Sirkeci station. Andrea and I found internet cafe and booked Big Apple hostel as was cheap and had beds, most places couldn't do Tuesday. I insisted on a cab altho Andrea was game for getting a tram which I couldn't face after the lack of sleep. Booked in and immediately went for a shower. Utter bliss after sleeping in my clothes for two nights. look round later.

Been in Istanbul for three hours and been in two carpet shops and had one forced shoeshine. Pecos' tip: If a shoeshine man ahead of you drops one of his brushes, walk on. Do not, as I and two others I met did, call him and pick it up. That is not a free grateful shoeshine you are getting and he will grab the money right out of your hand. 

In fact the constant importuning is getting me right down. Nice Brummie resident taught me 'Son ra!' with a smile and a wave. This means later and seems to satisfy them. A bit.

Tags: shoeshine scam

About pecosbiff

Oh God, it's hot here!

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.