Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Lovely Lima

PERU | Saturday, 26 July 2008 | Views [598]

vendy and alfredo

vendy and alfredo

We left Hunachaco from a very unusual bus terminal where we booked our lugage in like on a plane and we were very surprised to have our hand luggage checked as well before boarding! When we got on the bus the similarity with a flight did not stop there (except we had very big, comfy leather seats with foot rests and fully reclining!) As we pulled out of the depot we had a safety video played to us, and then we had a stewardess bring us a hot meal after 2 hours, and another hot snack another 3 hours later! Also we got tea,also served by the stewardess! If only all our journeys were like that! so a very nice 9 hour journey later we arrived in Lima and went to the hotel.

At 10pm we were ready to go out and went to Kennedy Square, where we chose a brazilian bar for a cocktail or two with Rob, Ewart and Toni.

Next morning Alfredo took us on a tour of Lima (his home town) after a 30 minute taxi ride to the centre (yes 30 minutes!) We saw the cathedral where Pizarros remains are, the San Francisco monastary and catacombs, the Plaza de Armas, the Palacio de Gobierno and the changing of the guard there. We also saw the San Martin Plaza and the main shopping street where Alfredo treated us all to churros.

After that we went to the National museum by taxi (another 30mins) and although I´m sure its usually very interesting, most of the exhibits were closed. It was free though! Next we went  to Huaca Pucllana , an ancient pyramid built by the Lima civilisation between 200 and 400ad. A fascinating tour told us about how they lived and what  they used it for! Apparently the women were the bosses here, and they worshipped the sea. Another interesting fact is that it never rains in Lima, but they do get a misty light rain in the winter.

Last thing was to go to the mall to admire the view from the top of the hill, where you can see the sea, and Vendy and me decided to rest and have a Pisco sour there while the sun set (well, while it got dark-it was very grey all day and i think thatis the typical weather in Lima).

That night we went out for dinner and I tried Alpaca steak - it was very nice. Alpaca is a bit like a llama, I think!

We were very impressed with Lima and with the friendly people in Lima and in Peru so far who want to say hello to you, and seem really nice.

It's just a shame we only had one day there.

 

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.