Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Huanchaco and Chan Chan

PERU | Friday, 25 July 2008 | Views [505]

fishing boats

fishing boats

We left Mancora at 3.30pm and travelled to Trujillo by bus, arriving at 1.40am on the 24th. We stopped at 9.30pm for dinner. It wasn´t very nice and we left quite a bit. Some boys were standing outside trying to attract our attention, but we ignored them as we didnt know what they were up to. However, when we left they sat down to finish our leftovers, and that was when we wished we had left more!

On arriving in Trujillo we took taxis to Huanchaco, and arrived ataround 2am.

We got up at 8.00 for an 8.30 breakfast and then we were off to visit Chan Chan. It was built by the Chimu and Moche civilisations and at 20 square km, and up to 28 square km including the farmland it was the biggest city in America in its time. There is a palace, 9 temples,125 wells as well as common dwellings. The Incas came along in the 1500´s and wanted to take the city but realised it was too big. Instead they took their army to the neighbouring tribes and offered them food and security by joining the inca empire. If the offer was refused they would return and offer again  before making war on them. This was a very successful tactic, and was how they made such a large empire, often without even fighting! In this way they conquered the surrounding tribes and and finally captured Chan Chan after an eleven year siege!

Nowadays much of it is ruined and they are trying to restore it, but it is no less impressive because of that. Also, in an earthquake ten years ago, the restored walls were demolished again but the old walls which have been standing for hundreds of years were undamaged! It's sheer size is overwhelming. We visited one the the temples, the temple of the dragon and a museum. It was a fascinating morning and our guide wanted to show us more but everyone was tired from the travelling and we decided to go back and chill out by the beach.

We returned at around lunchtime and had a lunch around the hotel pool (not a big pool, i must add!) Then we went to investigate town. There were lots of surfers, a pier, seafront restaurants and cafes as well as lots of the famous reed fishing boats that the surfing fishermen use. Each boat lasts only from 1 month to 6 months!

The sea was quite rough and it was interesting to see the surfers out there, but in Mancora there was more surfers and more different sports going on.

 

Tags: chan chan, chimu, moche, pier

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.