Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Leaving Spain......

SPAIN | Monday, 30 June 2008 | Views [1196]

The journey: SAN SEBASTIAN-BILBAO-BRUSSELS-VIENNA-BRNO

Start time: 10.30am 26th June

Finish time: 1.00am 27th June

Total time: 14.5 hours

After 2 years in Spain, it was finally time to leave. We called a taxi to our house to take all our stuff to the bus station finally we were away. It was a sad moment, and nervy too, as we knew we had far too many things for the plane!

On arriving at the airport we tried to check in and were told we had 34kg too much to check in and had to pay axcess baggage! Eventually we were ONLY charged for 20kg, which was a complete touch but still expensive!

After flying from Bilbao to Brussels for a short stop over we found our flight had a short delay. That wasn't so bad, and so we sat to wait. then we got on board and were told that due to air traffic going to vienna we had to wait another half an hour on the plane before we could go. It was very hot and they went round giving us some water.

Finally, we left Brussels and were on our way. Then the pilot told us about the weather in Vienna, and that there had been a storm but now the weather was ok. Little did we know what it would be like in 1.5hrs time. When approaching the airport we could see there was a thunder storm near the airport but by the time we were coming in to land, it seemed very close. The sky, though still early, was completely black except for the regular flashes of fork lightnening.

On the final approach, as we were about to land, there were 2 flashes of lightning that seemed like they were right outside, next to the right wing and suddenly the nose was lifting and the pilot was accelerating away from the airport.

Some five or ten minutes later we slowed down again and started circling the airport. We were then told that the pilot decided not to land and we would have to wait until the storm moved away from the airport, so we flew round and round for over an hour - not allowed to move from our seats - until we could land.  

So then our car journey back to Brno began. Vendy's poor dad had waited for us for nearly 3 hours and now he was able to drive us home in the lashing rain, withte stom continuing overhead. It left us once we reached Slovakia and we finished our homeward journey in peace.

Not a journey i'd like to repeat!

Tags: brussels, lightning, storm, vienna

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.