Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Sayonara Kyoto

JAPAN | Friday, 26 April 2024 | Views [92]

Gion poster

Gion poster

IT’S EASY FOR “GAIJIN” LIKE US to confuse Kinkaku-ji and Ginkaku-ji—SpellCheck is having problems, too. We fondly remember autumn reflections of the Golden Pavilion, Kinkaku-ji, from our visit ten years ago, not even realizing that the temple was rebuilt in 1950 after being destroyed by arson. 

mm 

               Kinkaku-ji, Golden Palace from 2014 visit     

nn

                     No silver in Ginkaku-ji

So instead of re-visiting Kinkaku-ji we trekked four miles from our hotel to its cousin, Ginkaku-ji, aka Silver Pavilion and the sprawling Nazen-ji Temple just down the Philosopher’s Trail. Ginkaku-ji is the original 15th Century temple, having withstood centuries of fires and earthquakes. Ginkaku-ji was never clad in silver—it was probably called the Silver Pavilion in contrast to Kinkaku-ji. For non-Buddhists like us the main attraction is the trail that begins at the traditional Sand Garden and winds up the hillside past a Moss Garden, the only one we’ve ever seen.

mm

                   Garden of Sand, Ginkaku-ji

nn

                       Moss Garden of Ginka

Nanzen-ji has been at the center of Buddhism in Kyoto since 1386 when the Emperor converted to Zen Buddhism and turned his retirement villa into a Zen temple. I’m sure there is a special connection for Buddhists that was lost on us but we enjoyed the tranquility as kimono’d  couples posed for photos near the 19th Century aqueduct.

nn

        Nanzen-ji Temple

nn

                   "Abbey Road"—Buddhist style

We said “Sayonara” to Kyoto and took the 13:01 Shinkansen Bullet Train to Yokohama. It took less than two hours to cover the 450 kilometers to Shin-Yokohama station and I had only seconds to get a photo of Mount Fuji as we sped past at 140 mph. 

nn

                     Just one look, Mt. Fuji

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.