Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Around Busan

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 8 April 2024 | Views [79]

Cherry Blossom Time in South Korea

Cherry Blossom Time in South Korea

WE ARE USING BUSAN, KOREA’S SECOND-LARGEST CITY, to get acclimated to the country before working our way to Seoul. Which may be more difficult than we thought. The first thing we noticed was the weather—morning temperatures in the 40s, not the 80s of Vietnam—with a cold breeze off the ocean. Instead of T-shirts, shorts and sandals we’re wearing long pants, socks and shoes and polarfleece. And for some reason Korea doesn’t allow Google Maps to provide directions so it’s impossible to find the route from the hotel to a particular restaurant or ATM. 

nn

              Riding the Rails, Busan metro

bb

                  Cherry Blossom petals falling like pink snow

bb

                        Just him, us and the seagulls

We found the metro without any trouble but had to rely on Korean-Americans, Jonathan and Dolores, to help us get to Hauendae Beach, yesterday’s destination. Although it will be too late for the famous Cherry Blossoms when we arrive in Japan, we seem to have hit Korea right in the Goldilocks Zone. As we strolled along under cherry trees heavy with blossoms, the breeze dropped petals on us like pink and white snowflakes. We imagine the Beach would be packed during the heat of summer but on this cool spring day it was just a few of us and the seagulls.

nn

             Art Immitating Art

nn

            Some Surfer Whimsy

nn

              Twisted Art

nn

              it took me a while to get it

Busan is loaded with street sculpture, some reminiscent of Columbian Fernando Botero, some whimsical and some totally abstract. It took me a while to decipher the “I ❤️Busan” sign although the alternate meaning is equally appropriate. 

nn

               Not worth the price

                    A tourist and his money are soon parted

The Sky Capsule from Mipo Station is a “must-do” according to the “Best of Busan” website. The reality makes me wonder how much baksheesh the “influencers” who write these articles get. The slow-motion, two kilometer ride along the coast costs $20 per couple, highway robbery when the metro ticket from Busan was only three bucks. We walked beneath it to a recent trail closure almost at the end. We could see seaweed gatherers working among the rocks below and the Gwangan Suspension Bridge and downtown Busan in the distance. And of course Connie found some birds—the Vinous-throated Parrotbill was an unexpected “Lifer.”

bb

                The Seaweed Gatherer

nn

                    Gwangan Suspension Bridge and Busan

nn

                    You didn't think there would be birds???

We aren’t quite ready for Korean street food so we had lunch at a semi-Western restaurant featuring burgers, pizza and pasta. Mushroom Alfredo for Connie and the seafood version for me while we people watched and made plans for tomorrow. The trip back on the metro was easy-peasy lemon squezy—we didn’t even have to follow our breadcrumbs.

nn

                    Thanks, but for now we'll stick with food we recognize for now

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.