Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Da Lat 2.0

VIETNAM | Monday, 25 March 2024 | Views [47]

Da Lat 2.0 (internet photo)

Da Lat 2.0 (internet photo)

STAYING IN DA LAT WAS LIKE BEING ON R&R—a real hotel in a real city with a real breakfast (once) and even Italian food for dinner, also once. We even found a laundry around the corner. 

bb

              R&R at Sandals Camellia, Da Lat 

nn

                        Our room—not too shabby

bb

                              Topiary, Da Lat 2.0

But this isn’t the Da Lat we remember from 2008. The lake we walked around sixteen years ago now hosts an armada of swan boats and Da Lat’s roundabouts have some really groovy topiary. Crossing the busy streets takes a bit of courage but, as it is in Cairo, if you keep the same pace the motorbikes will usually avoid you. We stayed in a less toney neighborhood back then and had no reason to venture into downtown where Sandals Camellia is with dozens of restaurants and upscale stores—some possible selling authentic products! 

bb

                  Our hotel in 2008

bb

                    Da Lat 1.0, 2008

nn

                   Zen and the art of crossing the street

It is only 50 kilometers to Mount Bidoup Nui Ba National Park so we were able to enjoy a sit-down breakfast at the hotel this morning. A very short walk took us to a relatively comfortable bird hide where we sat for most of the morning. The seats were still uncomfortable plastic but for once they were almost level. Several servings of juicy mealworms later we had recorded—and photographed—sixteen species of birds, several squirrels and a couple of treeshrews. Connie added six new birds to her Life List including the White-Cheeked Laughingthrush, White-Browed Scimitar-Babbler, Dark-Sided Thrush, Siberian Thrush and Lesser Shortwing.

bb

                      White-Cheeked Laughingthrush

nn

            White-browed Scimitar-Babbler

nn

                   Gluttony—one of the 7 deadly sins

bb

                     Dark-sided Thrush

We seldom bird after 11:00 AM—the birds have usually retired and we are just plain tired. But birders who have paid big bucks for a guide demand their money’s worth so we were out after lunch mainly targeting tiny Vietnamese Greenfinches. The ones we saw were high in the canopy and while we could “tick” them, we’ll try again mañana.

bb

                      Siberian Thrush

bb

                      Lesser Shortwing

bb

                  Siberian Blue Robin

nn      nn

       Northern Treeshrew                  Northern Smoothtail Treeshrew 

Back at the hotel, we staged a mini-rebellion. Quang has been selecting the restaurants and ordering the food without so much as a “by your leave.” It’s not that the Vietnamese meals are horrible, but enough is enough. By way of compromise Andre arranged for pizzas to be delivered to Quang’s restaurant du jour for Alastair, Connie and me. A small victory buta  tasty one!

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.