Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Leigh Creek—Town For Sale

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 29 October 2023 | Views [84]

Town for Sale

Town for Sale

LEIGH CREEK WAS ONCE A BOOMING purpose-built mining town. It had a modern shopping centre, a series of neat modern roads and small, attractive plots of land with standard modern houses. Miners and their families enjoyed a social life enhanced by the considerable pay the workers earned at the coal mine. Until 2015 when Port Augusta switched from coal and the mine closed.

b

                      Once Upon a Time—Leigh Creek, South Australia

n

                       Life still goes on, Leigh Creek Pub

Today Leigh Creek today is For Sale—a victim of Climate Change. Moving away from coal may be good for the environment but a tragedy for the 90 residents who remain, waiting to see if the government can find a buyer.

n

               Our Cottage, Leigh Creek Outback Resort

We stayed for a few nights in a cottage at the Leigh Creek Outback Resort, under the eucalyptus trees next to the cricket field. We stopped  in the Pub/Restaurant for the wifi and a beer, bought groceries in the IGA/Foodland and had our tire replaced in nearby Copley (pop. 83.). 

n

                        Black Swan

n

                                  Pink-eared Ducks

n

                       Red-backed Kingfisher

b

                                     Red-capped Plover

We have been birding at the nearby Retainment Dam, a decent size lake with a variety of birds. And while Connie isn’t adding many new species to her Life List, John is happily snapping photos of colorfully named birds—Black Swans, Red-capped Plovers, Pink-eared Ducks and Red-backed Kingfishers to name a few. Plus the odd kangaroo. 

n

                            Red Kangaroo

Sad to say, the birds and beasts appear to have a brighter future than the humans in Leigh Creek.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.