Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

A Cabin in the Woods

USA | Friday, 15 September 2023 | Views [62]

Russian Orthodox Church from 1894, Kenai

Russian Orthodox Church from 1894, Kenai

THE KENAI RIVER AND IT’S TRIBUTARIES have some of the best fishing in Alaska. Sometimes! As it turns out not only are we here too late for the Sockeye salmon run, we’re too early for the Silvers—and the river is running so high that even the $600/day fishing guides are sitting it out. Really glad I didn’t book a trip!

b

         The Rectory, oldest house in Kenai, 1881

n

         Resurrection Bay from Seward

n

                   Beginning of the Original Iditarod Dogsled Race

There isn’t much to see in Kenai other than the Russian Orthodox Church and a few (relatively) old buildings; Alaska, “Seward’s Folly,” wasn’t purchased until 1867 and became a state in 1959. We decided to revisit Seward for lunch and another chance to separate the two towns in our mind, another 100 miles each way. Did I mention that Alaska is twice the size of Texas? One thing we hadn’t known is the famous Iditarod dogsled race originated in Seward in 1910, fifteen years before the diphtheria epidemic in Nome that made the race famous.

nn

                        If Fall 

n

                     is in the Air...

n

                        Can Winter be far Behind?

On Thursday we checked out and drove 200 miles to Wasilla and our final AirBnB for a while. We had hoped to use this as a base and visit Talkeetna for views of Denali but it looks like the weather won’t cooperate—it has rained at least part of every day. Fall is in the air and the temperature hasn’t gotten much out of the 40s.

n

              Two Lakes Cabin

n      nn

        Functional                                      and Cozy

n

 

                  Only in Alaska!

b

                         But usually they land on the lake

But the log cabin in cozy and functional with a comfy bed and it’s only an hour from Anchorage airport where we return the car. Two Lakes Cabin sits between two lakes (duh), each with a squadron of float-planes—there’s also a sign that proclaims planes sometimes taxi on the road. Alaska! 

n

                           Sarah pales besides Marjorie Taylor-Greene and Lauren Boebert

And if Wasilla sounds familiar, it’s the Alaska home of Sarah Palin, former governor and VP running-mate of John McCain. An inscribed copy of her book Going Rogue is prominently displayed in the cabin. 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.