Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

My Fair Lady in London

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 9 June 2022 | Views [157]

My Fair Lady at the London Coliseum

My Fair Lady at the London Coliseum

WE KNOW MANY FOLKS WHO travel to London just for the theatre. It’s not why we’re here but when in Rome (or London) . . . . We’re Phantom’d out, already seen Jersey Boys in London, couldn’t care less about Back to the Future and despite being from the same town in Colorado as star Amy Adams,Glass Menagerie is too depressing. That left My Fair Lady, a natural for the London stage. 

b

                       Some View—Front Row Center

We took in the matinee, of course—don’t want to ride the tube at night. Our last minute ticket purchase at the Coliseum box office netted us Front Row Center seats for the same price as nose-bleed country in the upper balcony. We were right behind the orchestra conductor and, not to sound gross, we could actually see spittle from the actors mouths.

b

                                   A new face on the stage joins two experienced actors

We recognized Henry Higgins right away—you would, too. Harry Hadden-Patton played Bertie Pelham in Downton Abbey and was also in Midsomer Murders and Grantchester, two of our BritBox favorites. Malcom Sinclair, who played Colonel Pickering, has been in 3 episodes of Midsomer”plus Foyle’s War. And everyone knows actress and activist Vanessa Redgrave. The surprise was newcomer Amara Okereke as Eliza Doolittle. She’ll never be mistaken for Julie Andrews or Audrey Hepburn but you’ll hear from her again…just you wait, ‘enry ‘iggins, just you wait.

b

                         A Grand Lady, Dame Vanessa Redgrave

I’ve been to dozens of musicals on Broadway and even helped build a few sets for community theater productions so I am always fascinated by the elaborate scenery. Today’s set for Henry Higgins home and laboratory may have been the best I’ve ever seen.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.