Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Stonehenge and Avebury on Queen's Jubilee Weekend

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 6 June 2022 | Views [146]

Her Majesty and the Royals, Platinum Jubilee at Buckingham Palace (internet phot

Her Majesty and the Royals, Platinum Jubilee at Buckingham Palace (internet phot

SHREWTON IS A CUTE VILLAGE just a stone’s throw from the famous Stonehenge. The “Forge” AirBnB is about the same size as our former RV. It is neat and tidy, Jo has decorated it stylishly, everything is new and works! It’s convenient to all the places we want to visit; Avebury, Winchester and Salisbury—Connie even walked to Stonehenge this morning. 

n

                 Everything is bright and shiny new at the Forge

Stonehenge has been around for six or seven thousand years and it looks just like the photos you have seen—the iconic circle of 52 standing “sarsen” stones with 30 lintels resting on top. The big change since our visit eleven years ago is the price—£24 even for us pensioners. 

b

               Stonehenge from a distance in the drizzle

b

                           Lintel stones rest atop Sarsen stones

b

                                 Not much has changed since 2011

On this is the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend the traffic to Stonehenge was back to its pre-Covid peak. Pre-booked, timed entry tickets were recommended, even on this rainy day. Alternatively, people can walk nearly to the stones for free from the farm road nearby where the caravans park overnight. Any time. I took these photos with my telephoto lens right from the road before hours before the rain and the site opened to the public.

b

                         We prefer Avebury

n

                        Aerial photo of Avebury (from internet)

n

                           You can even touch them if you want

Avebury, 20-miles away, feels more intimate than Stonehenge. Avebury originally had three stone circles, only parts of which remain standing. The outer circle is the largest megalithic stone circle in the world, 1000 feet in diameter, with two smaller circles inside. The best thing about Avebury is that you can walk anywhere you like—right up to the stones, even. There are not lintel stones but then again, it isn’t crowded, either. And it is free!

b

                  Platinum Jubliee crowd outside Buchingham Palace (internet photo)

n

                       Shrewton pays homage to the Queen's 70 year reign

n

                  A rare visit from Her Majesty (in her cups!)

Over six-million people celebrated Elizabeth’s 70-year reign this weekend. Many thronged to Buckingham Palace for a glimpse of Her Majesty and the Royals but most attended neighborhood gatherings in places like Shrewton. We were sort of “invited” by Jo so we wandered up to the cricket field for a look at the festivities. The Shrewton Silvers brass band was set up under a marquee while families and neighbors sat on lawn chairs. Dogs were not only welcome, they seemed mandatory. Beer and pizza were on sale but most folks brought their own food and libations—champagne was very much in evidence. 

b

                          God Save Our Queen

Everyone stood—and most sang—when the band played “God Save Our Queen.” I couldn’t help but think the words “My country ’tis of thee . . .” so I just stood and smiled!

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.