Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Luxor—The West Bank

EGYPT | Tuesday, 30 November 2021 | Views [217]

Temple of Hatshepsut, West Bank of Luxor

Temple of Hatshepsut, West Bank of Luxor

PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DYING TO GO to the West Bank of Luxor for 3500 years. The Valley of the Kings, where the sun seems to set, is where the tombs of Egyptian royalty can be found. And Thebes Hotel is the ideal base to explore ancient sites both near and far. Fahd treated us like family right from the start. He drove me to the ATM to top off our  cash supply and even took me for coffee on our last morning.

b

               Fahd, making a go of it despite Covid; Thebes Hotel 

bb

                    I feel just like Aladin

We had been to Luxor before and after checking in decided to walk over to the Colossi of Memnon and the Ramesseum to get our bearings. It’s heartening to see that, like in Pompeii, excavation and restoration of the sites is on-going.

bb

                 Can you dig it? Archeology continues

b

                          Colossi of Memnon 

b

                  Ramesseum

Fahd arranged for a taxi on Tuesday to take us to the Funerary Temple of Hatshepsut, aka Deir al-Bahari, and Medinet Habu. We decided to skip the Valley of the Kings this time—the same tombs were open, photos are not permitted and nothing much had changed since our last visit except the cost. 

bb

                  Shrine to Hathor, Temple of Hatshepsut

bb

                  Hatshepsut as Osiris, God of the Dead

b

                 Temple of Amun, Medinet Habu

But we had enjoyed Deir al-Bahari so much that we wanted to return. It's a little confusing since the mortuary features Hatshepsut as Osiris, god of the dead, Hathor, the cow-headed goddess of fertility and Anubis, the jackal-headed god of the dead. Gods aside, it’s hard to believe that so large a site could have lain forgotten under tons of sand for more than 3000 years until Howard Carter, Mr. King Tut himself, uncovered it in 1903.

b

                    No "Up, up and away" this year

We took a pass on the early morning balloon ride in Luxor, something we’ve been looking forward to for 15 years. But after seeing them lift off behind Thebes Hotel and watching the YouTube video, we realized they don’t pass over any of the temples as we had hoped—and the high-voltage pylons looked problematic. After our fantastic flight in Turkey we would have been terribly disappointed.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.