Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

High on Arezzo

ITALY | Monday, 18 October 2021 | Views [165]

Fall Colors and Church of San Domenico

Fall Colors and Church of San Domenico

THE CHURCH OF SAN DOMENICO IS THE ZENITH of Arezzo. It isn’t the best thing, by far, but it may be the highest and this morning Connie lead me, huffing and puffing, for a visit. And I said Arezzo wasn’t a hill town! 

b

                Frescos, San Domenico

n      b

       Crucifix                                      Statue and Stained Glass 

The light shining through the upper windows highlighted the old frescos and the stained glass. To be honest, though, the fall colors outside San Domenico were more a testament to the Deity than the artwork inside.

   b

                              Arezzo Duomo

nn

     Duomo Nave

                       b

                             Ornate Ceiling Art

                                                 n

                                                        Pulpit and Organ

Another hike—uphill again—to the Duomo was more rewarding. From the open Nave and its ornate ceiling to the pulpit and organ, the Duomo was everything a believer could ask for.

         n

                   "Call of San Mateo"

 n

                          "Descent of the Holy Spirit"

The huge interior is warmed by light shining through a dozen towering stained glass windows. Several were made by Guillaume de Marcillat, supposedly the Michelangelo of Stained Glass in the Renaissance.

n

                       Waiting for A Sinner

Always the snoop, I watched as a priest —at least I hope he was a priest—entered one side of the confessional and waited patiently for a sinner to happen by. Not being Catholic, nor even Christian for that matter, I was fascinated. There’s no telling what manner of sins were forgiven for however many “Hail Marys.” 

b

                      Connie in the Piazza Grande

             nn

                       Pieve Santa Maria, Piazza Grande

It was downhill to the Piazza Grande, Arezzo’s version of Il Campo. No Palio here but we understand that the four contrade of Arezzo used to compete in some form of jousting. The piazza was quiet today, just locals having a cappuccino or sipping espresso or enjoying an early lunch. We joined them with a pizza margherita—when in Arezzo . . . .

bb

             Lunch in Piazza Grande where the cover photo was taken 

Our trail lead though some side roads downhill (finally) to Via Cavour and out the gate to our apartment. I am sure we will miss it in the days—and nights—ahead.

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.