Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Finito Con Firenze—Finished With Florence

ITALY | Sunday, 3 October 2021 | Views [121]

Basilica Santa Croce

Basilica Santa Croce

AN OLD WOODY ALLEN SCHTICK GOES “My wife is and atheist and I’m agnostic. We argue about which religion not to bring the children up in.” Like Woody I am a heathen without much use for religion. 

nn

   Oppulence with a capital "O" High Altar, Santa Maria Novella

When I look at cathedrals like Santa Croce and Santa Maria Novella I don’t understand the “Why?” I see the thousands of “man-years” of fruitless labor by architects, engineers, stone masons, carpenters, gemologists, metal workers, common laborers, quarry workers who never saw the project and chandlers whose work went up in smoke. At the same time I marvel at the “How?” of the spacious naves, soaring columns, domed ceilings, stained glass and ornate altars.

     

 Basilica Santa Croce

                      n

                         Basilica Santa Novella

Florence has more than its share of churches and cathedrals but the two most famous—and awe inspiring—are Santa Maria Novella and the Basilica di Santa Croce. Paintings from all the likely suspects of Florence decorate the many chapels in Santa Maria Novella.

b

      "And the Sun Really is the Center of the Universe" 

The most notable work is the pulpit designed by Filippo Brunelleschi the same pulpit from which the first verbal attack was made on Galileo for declaring that the sun, not Earth, was the center of the known universe. He was found guilty of heresy and sentenced to house arrest where he remained until his death

nn      bb

                     Tombs of Michelangelo and Galileo

The Basilica of Santa Croce is known as “The Temple of Italian Glories” for the 270 tombstones that pave the floor of the church, honoring those who strongly impacted the course of history in the fields of art, history and music. The most famous tomb belongs to Michelangelo, followed by those of Machiavelli and Galileo.

nn

         Seems I Forgot about His Left Leg

And speaking of Michelangelo, the Bargello Museum had free admission on Sunday but was surprisingly uncrowded. It is home to several statues by Michelangelo including his “unfinished” Pieta. We’re not finished with Michelangelo yet so this was a great way to end our stay in Florence.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.