Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Cozumel

MEXICO | Sunday, 22 August 2021 | Views [178]

Yucatan Emerald

Yucatan Emerald "Lifer" #5700 for Connie, Isla Cozumel

OURS WAS THE FIRST CAR OFF THE Naviera Ferry to Cozumel last night—fitting since we arrived at the port 3½ hours before sailing. Our “business” on the mainland was finished and there was no 1:00PM sailing on Sunday, only the 7:30 departure. The 90-minute crossing from Playa del Carmen was smooth-ish and Casa del Mar Hotel is just a few blocks from the terminal so we were in our room by 9:30, resting up for our final day of birding with Eric.

b

                    Grace's Calling Card

This morning on our way to El Cedral on the southern part of the island, it was obvious that Grace hit Cozumel with a vengeance. The unpaved road was awash in puddles while some trees were ripped out by the roots. Eric was afraid that our target birds, the final ones of the trip, might have taken refuge elsewhere, spoiling his untarnished record. 

b

               Caribbean Dove

Not to worry. By nine o’clock Connie had added a Caribbean Dove, Yucatan Vireo and Cozumel Vireo at the first place we stopped. And shortly later we saw the Cozumel Emerald to the list. 

b

                     Yucatan Vireo

bb

                      Cozumel Vireo

And remember the Ruddy Crake that Connie and Eric “heard?” I can now confirm the bird’s existence—and have photographic proof. Eric was still "da Man."

bb

                   Ruddy Crake

For all intents and purposes the birding trip is finished. All told we covered nearly 5000 kilometers and saw more than 400 species. Connie added 130 “lifers” bringing her Life List to an astonishing 5700!

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.