Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Gone Fishin'

USA | Friday, 27 November 2020 | Views [645]

The Old Man and the Sea, Ft. Myers Beach

The Old Man and the Sea, Ft. Myers Beach

OLD-TIMERS DON’T NEED A LICENSE TO FISH in Florida.  Before the Dark Times descended you might see them lined up shoulder-to-shoulder on almost any bridge or pier—today they are keeping their social distance.  I prefer to be closer to the water—preferably in waders in a clear Colorado stream.  But standing waist-deep in the warm Gulf waters is an acceptable substitute.  

b      bb

  Green Sea Turtle                                Bottle-Nose Dolphins

You don’t have to be catching to have a good time.  Diving terns and splashing pelicans provide enough entertainment and there is always a chance of having a green sea turtle or a pair of bottle-nose dolphins swim by.

bb

              Nasty and U-G-L-Y

I know my trout and salmon, pike and perch, bass and such but some of the fish I have been catching are foreign to me.  The most prodigious—and voracious—are the aptly-named Lizardfish.  Snake-like and well-camouflaged, these toothy guys will attack a lure nearly their own size.  

bb     

   Luck be a Lady

                        bb

                                    Snook

                                                     n

                                                               Sea Trout

Ladyfish are more fun to catch.  They are bright silver, quite aggressive and jump acrobatically like miniature tarpon when hooked.  Many obligingly throw the lure after a jump or two—a long-distance release.  I have caught dozens of ladyfish but only a single snook here—three lifetime.  Snook are considered a trophy in Florida waters and are gourmet fare I’ve been told.  So are sea trout—just 'trout' hereabouts.  But I release everything I catch.

bb

                Hit the Road, Jack

The biggest surprise was on my last cast on Friday—a 4-pound crevalle jack that took a good few minutes to coax onto the beach.  Of course I don’t carry a camera while fishing so all of these photos are taken from the internet.  

And did I mention the B-I-G one that got away?

 

 

 

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.