Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

75 Years Ago — Hiroshima

USA | Thursday, 6 August 2020 | Views [195]

E = mc2  Bad news for Hiroshima and Nagasaki

E = mc2 Bad news for Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Archival entry from October 2014  journals.worldnomads.com/vagabondstoo

EVERYONE KNOWS THE STORY, how on the morning of 6 August, 1945 the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the sleepy city of Hiroshima, effectively ending World War II and changing the world forever.  We baby boomers, the “duck and cover”generation, have had to live with the reality hanging over our heads that E conclusively does equal mc2.

nn

                       One hundred forty thousand names

But knowing isn’t the same as standing at Ground Zero contemplating the 140,000 human lives ended that morning or died of burns and radiation by year’s end.  Most of the bodies were never recovered or identified; many were simply vaporized.  Uncounted thousands are buried under the Atomic Bomb Mound.  The names of all known victims are recorded on the Cenotaph in Peace Memorial Park, a place of reflection for people of all nations.

n

Atomic Bomb Dome, then and now

Amazingly a single structure remains from that day.  Everyone inside the Industrial Promotion Hall died that morning but the shell, now called the Atomic Bomb Dome, still stands as a reminder.  And if you need more reminding of the horrors, the nearby museum has photos, clothing and artifacts.

Tags: retrospective

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.