Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Sydney to Tassie

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 3 February 2020 | Views [273]

A farewell toast to Sydney

A farewell toast to Sydney

THIRTY-KNOT WINDS WHIPPED SPUME from the waves — White Horses JRR Tolkein called them — and forced Noordam into a port-side list.  Luckily, the swells were moderate so the rockin’ and rollin’ was minimal as we cruised through the night on the open ocean towards Hobart, Tasmania.  Some would call our cabin on Deck 1 “steerage” but it’s the most stable place on the ship.  It is full-size — unlike the first time we sailed on Noordam — but it is directly below the casino and we can hear the beeps and rings of the slots if we listen hard.

nn

       Noordam at Circular Quay, Sydney

We spent Friday night in Sydney at Meriton Suites, a short walk from Mascot Station and the train to Circular Quay.  This was our second cruise from Sydney so we knew the routine and arrived at the ship just as check-in began and were in our cabin in time for lunch.

nn

          White Horses and . . .

nn

              . . . Rainbows

Sydney’s 40°C temperatures were replaced by 45°F in Hobart, a mixed meteorological metaphor I’m sure, but quite a shock to the system nonetheless.  This is the first time since May that we’ve worn shoes and long trousers other than on long flights.  It can — and does — rain at any time in Tasmania and today was no exception.

bb

                A Cold Harbor, Hobart

We spent a month camping in Tassie back in 2012, including a day in Hobart so we didn’t feel guilty about watching the Superbowl Monday morning.  We walked through intermittent showers into town after the game and returned with enough Diet Coke to get us to New Zealand.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.