Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Bogged and Stranded

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 February 2008 | Views [1180] | Comments [4]

Hello to everyone in the wet UK.  I am currently at the Very Wet Wetherby station, between Cloncurry and Longreach. 

Yesterday we had 130mm of rain in a little over two hours.  I lost my boots in the mud while trying to get my bogged bike back to the house.  We were due to load 700 cows onto 4 road trains at around 14.00.  The road trains arrived on time, but by the time we had loaded the first two trailers of the first train, the heavens had opened.  The drivers were stuck with us at the station overnight and are being air lifted out today.  We are also awaiting rescue - once the roadtrain drivers have all left, we will also be getting airlifted out.  As for our equipment, we have had to leave behind a Toyota Ute and two motorbikes which we will have to come back for once the roads have dried up.  In addition the four road trains will be stranded here for at least a week if there is no more rain between now and then.

Anyway the chopper is back to take out the last road train drive now, so only a couple of hours till I leave.

Tomorrow is valantines day, and while I haven't recieved any cards as yet, I'm sure thay are on their way and will be with me when the post arrives on Friday ! 

Ed

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Dear Eddy
Will you be my Valentine??? We too feel to have been stranded this week as the Computer broke down last Tuesday and had to be sent from Halifax Computers to Leeds where a new back light (or some thing like that)had to be fitted, and we have just got it back today so have alot of catching up to do.
You sound to be having rather a wet time at the moment! Do you want us to send your red wellies out to you! Is it very humid now? Is that amount of rain at this particular time of the year unusual? Does anyone put it down to Climate Change which seems to be the buzz word here in UK at the moment!
Big Ds party went well last weekend - lots of people there and all interested to know how you were getting on. Andy and Ms came over to stay and so it was great to see them both again. Black and Decker Peter was at the party and Ms took quite a shine to him! There were lots of sticky warning triangles about and B&D Peter had one stuck on his back describing him as a Porn Star. Ms tells me she had a Valentine Card from a Porn Star - he must be abit quicker than he looks!
We had a day out in Filey last week and this week we have been up to Staithes, both great days.
The trailer is nearing completion and will soon be ready for painting.
We have looked at the new photographs - is the cow stuck in the tree or are you stuck in the tree. Do you go up in the helicopter often?
Take good care Eddy and do get rid of all the floods before Andy & Mel come out - not long to go now!
Lots of love Mum & Dad xx

  Mum & Dad Feb 16, 2008 6:32 AM

2

Hello Eddy from the Wetherby Station in the UK.
We have got rid of the rain for the time being and now the frost -6 today, you would hAVE a good skating ring over there if you had the frost. Farming is totally different from your pictures, herding cattle by helicopter. Is there much grass Eddy for them to eat ?You certainly look the part, obviously the secret to loosing weight, I think we had better come over and have a stint, it would help loose the excess pounds that don't seem to want to shift.
Hope you have a good time when Andrew and Melvyn come over.
All the best
Charles and Shirley

  Charles & Shirley Feb 18, 2008 9:17 AM

3

Hi Eddy
Hope you are drying out abit now after the recent flooding. We are now in a position to send some brisk drying winds out to you if that will help. It has been a pretty wild 24 hours but hopefully it will calm down
abit now as we go into the weekend. All is well and we have no damage.
Spent the day with Elizabeth on Wednesday and she took us out for a lovely meal at lunch time. She is keeping very busy at the moment. Six puppies to keep an eye on and as you can imagine they are lovely. The pony will foal shortly and then the sheep will lamb so its rather like a busy maternity unit at the moment. She was very interested to hear about you and wishes you all a good time together when Andy and Mel come out to Oz.
I went up to see Mary at this afternoon and she wants to sneak into Andys luggage - she sends her love out to you.
We have been invited to Wetherby on Sunday and we are all going to the Wetherby Whaler to give Andy a traditional send off. Don't worry we will save some for you too!
Not much other news at the moment. Hope all is well with you - have a safe journey down to Brisbane and as you meet up with the Jones family and Horse do give them our best wishes.
Take real good care Ed and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xx

  Mum & Dad Feb 23, 2008 9:12 AM

4

Well hello there Eddy
Tomorrow ( Sat 1st March) Ms will bring Andy over here and we will all have lunch together. Then we will go up to Farsides to pick Mel up and then take them over to Manchester and Andy and Mel will begin the trip of a life time. We do hope they have a good flight and will be ready to enjoy the wonderful itinerary which you have so carefully prepared. Just to say we do hope you have a wonderful time together with lots of fun but above all that you will all keep safe, well and will watch out for each other.
All is well here - a little wild at the moment. We had a good day in Wetherby last weekend & it was great to see everyone again.
Tonight Si & EmJ are going to watch Leeds Rhinos play Melbourne Storm (World Club Challenge) Halifax played them last week and Hx lost 26 10, so we will see what happens tonight.
Do have a wonderful time down under and we will be watching the Blog avidly awaiting news and hopefully some photos. Mary, Shirley & Melvyn,Helen Roberts and Elizabeth and family all send their best wishhes to you.
Take good care and I do wish I could be at Brisbane Airport when you all meet up.
With our love as always Mum Dad & Wanda xxxx

  Mum & Dad Mar 1, 2008 6:11 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.