Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Hong Kong

HONG KONG | Friday, 24 July 2009 | Views [498]

The trip back to Hong Kong was ... well it's over. I was "lucky" enough to be sitting in front of a group of young Russian men who were determined to prove that the word "yob" applies equally to all nationalities. Russian men seem to have deep booming voices and these had obviously been sampling the vodka. Alarmingly they would sometimes lapse into a sentence of english and one of these consisted of "we go up and boom come straight down again". Followed by giggling. Then in the middle of the next russian sentence was obviously the international word "martyr" and "Stalin". More giggling. Naturally the other passengers (me included) were alarmed. So they sent over the youngest prettiest female flight attendant to talk to them. This provided a diversion while they all ignored her questions and tried to get her phone number. Turns out these descendants of Cossacks were afraid of flying and thought that joking amongst themselves (and sharing the panic around) was the best way to deal with this. They sobered up quickly when the attendant told them we were already ten minutes late leaving and the pilot was waiting to see if they needed to be put off the plane. After we took off, the relief and the vodka kicked in and they all went to sleep and snored loudly. Till about half an hour before landing..

We arrived in Hong Kong and it was raining. The airport bus driver told us that it would clear up shortly (it did) and that we were lucky we missed the typhoon.

I'd forgotten the dance you have to perform on the corner of the streets in Hong Kong. This is the "evade the tailors" dance. They assume that every caucasian in Hong Kong is in need of some made to measure clothes and that if they follow you down the street harrassing you that you will obviously realize that this is your big opportunity. Of course they never recognize you when you pass the same corner - we probably all look alike, and give you another chance. One keeps telling me "I make you blues". I thought he was saying that blue is my colour, but I realized he means "blouse". If I don't want "blouse, trousers, skirt, suit" he also sells watches.

All this aside,I like Hong Kong. But this is just a stopover this time and tomorrow I arrive home.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.